NPRR1093 was filed by ERCOT to allow all loads capable of reducing consumption within 30 minutes to sell Non Spin (not just loads that could respond to a SCED dispatch, as was the status quo prior to NPRR1093). This was partially just a recognition that loads could provide Non Spin and partially an effort to ameliorate some of the market effects of ERCOT’s “Conservative Operation” strategy put in place after the June 2021 high price/conservation alert event. Generators that sold Non Spin were understandably not excited by the prospect of more competition and filed comments suggesting four changes to the NPRR: 1) a minimum amount of Non Spin should be procured from generators, 2) Deployments of Non-Spin should be pro-rated,3) All loads qualified as resources should be subject to deployment during EEA1, whether or not they were actually providing reserves at that time, and 4) All loads qualified as resources should be subject to Reliability Unit Commitment (RUC), whether or not they were actually providing reserves at that time. ERCOT compromised on points 1 and 2. Point 1 was added to the NPRR during the 9/16/21 PRS meeting and point 2 became NPRR1101.
- 9/1/21 ERCOT Submits NPRR1093
- 9/15/21 Generators submit protest comments
- 9/16/21 PRS amends NPRR1093 to include minimum amount of generator provided Non Spin
- 10/20/21 ERCOT submits NPRR1101 (Issue #2 from generator comments)
- 10/22/21 Board approves NPRR1093
- 10/28/21 PUC approves NPRR1093
- 2/2/22 ERCOT states at WMS that they don’t know yet how they will determine how much of NonSpin needs to be supplied by “SCED responsive capability” but they are working on figuring that out.
- 3/2/22 ERCOT proposes a requirement of at least 25% of NonSpin to be supplied by SCED responsive capacity; WMS votes instead to require at least 1420MW of NonSpin to be supplied by SCED responsive capacity (roughly 36.5% on average).
- 5/24/22 Planned implementation (2022 R3)
Reliability Deployment Price Adder
Winter Storm Uri
NPRR1101(Deploy Offline NonSpin in Randomized Groups)
Send any corrections/clarifications to firstname.lastname@example.org